Often System Administrator or Domain Admins will prefer to manage the Active Directory domain from their desktop or a separate computer without loging in directly to the server hosting the Active Directory. In order to do this the following steps needs to be performed.
- Endure the Win 7 host is added to the active directory
- Install The Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows 7 from Microsoft site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=7d2f6ad7-656b-4313-a005-4e344e43997d).
- Restart the Win 7 host if required.
- Open Control Panel, and select “Turn Windows Feature On or Off” from the Programs section
- Expand the “Remote Service Administration Tools” and then “Role Administration Tools”
- Ensure the following are selected:
- You may want to restart the Windows 7 system and login using an Active Directory admin account
Once you login to the host, go to the Control Panel
- Select View by: Large Icon
- Select Administrative Tools
- Select Active Directory Users and Computers